One of the best parts of being a dentist is merging art and science to change a person’s life. It may sound extreme to suggest that dentistry is life-changing, but when a patient is so self-conscious about their smile that they avoid talking, laughing, photographs, or social situations altogether, a cosmetic dental treatment can quite literally change how they interact from day to day. Maybe you can relate to this personally or know someone else who has had a similar experience and might benefit from a cosmetic treatment. Recently, one of my patients was selected by Paisley Magazine to participate in their “April Smile Takeover,” which included restorative and cosmetic dentistry as well as aesthetic enhancements. Together, we accomplished a transformation that can only be described as awe-inducing. Skeptical? Learn exactly how I helped my patient achieve the look she’d been wanting for years.
Meet Elizabeth …
Several years after the passing of her husband, Elizabeth decided that it was finally time to get out into the world and try new things. She began volunteering, learned how to speak Italian, and practiced meditation, for starters. One particular event loomed large, though: the 50th reunion of the Vardell Hall Girls School. Elizabeth understood the value of self-care, so we came up with a game plan that would give her a smile to match her vivacious personality.
The Procedures …
Due to jaw pain, failed root canals, and worn-down restorations, Elizabeth’s transformation was completed in several stages:
- We started by treating her TMD (temporomandibular joint disorder) with an orthotic device that would correct her bite and end her jaw pain.
- Implants were placed where root canals had failed.
- Excess bone matter (called tori) was removed, allowing for proper placement of her tongue and improved airway function.
- After gaining a clear picture of what Elizabeth wanted her new smile to look like, restorative crowns were placed on her teeth and implants.
- While the above treatments provided a natural “face-lift” by filling out what previously appeared to be sunken in, we finished with Botox to reduce the appearance of fine lines and dermal fillers to enhance her lips, providing the perfect frame for her new smile.
Looking good for her class reunion was Elizabeth’s original motivation, but she gained so much more from her smile transformation. Her improved airway function allows Elizabeth to enjoy a restful night’s sleep; when she wakes, she is energized and motivated to do the things she is passionate about. Her beaming smile perfectly complements her confidence and zest for life.
Every day, I am reminded of how powerful dentistry can be. Elizabeth’s story is just one of many that make me proud to be a dentist. If you’re ready to place yourself somewhere on your priority list, contact my office to schedule a consultation. Together, we can help you have the smile you’ve always dreamed of.
Dr. Angela Britt