You already know that implants can improve your smile … and your self-esteem. But did you know that they can actually improve your health as well? At Dentistry by Angela Britt, we want you to know all of the reasons that dental implants are one of our go-to solutions for toothlessness.
Dental implants are tiny, biocompatible posts that are surgically implanted below your gums. After they’ve had time to heal, the implants are used as anchors for individual prosthetic teeth. These replacements not only look natural, they function just like the teeth you were born with. The obvious benefits are that you can eat what you want, speak clearly, and clean your implants with ease; the real magic, however, is in the implants themselves. You see, because they become fused with your jaw bone, the implants take the place of natural tooth roots, which are the keys to keeping your mouth healthy and happy.
The Unsung Heroes
Here is another reason we consistently recommend implants: they keep your teeth in place. While that may not sound like a big deal, it is actually one of the ways they keep you healthier than dentures would. Here’s how it works:
- Your tooth roots and/or implants (as well as your teeth — both natural and prosthetic) keep the adjacent teeth from migrating.
- When your teeth are properly aligned (which is a delightful outcome of implant placement), they are easy to clean.
- When you can (and do) properly clean your teeth by brushing after each meal and flossing daily, you’re more likely to avoid gum disease and tooth loss.
- When you avoid gum disease, not only are you less likely to lose teeth, you’re also less likely to experience the pitfalls of periodontitis, including diabetes, hypertension and stroke, and heart disease.
We cannot overstate the efficacy of dental implants! If you live in Brunswick, Georgia, or the surrounding communities, contact our office to schedule a consultation for these tiny wonders that just might keep you healthy!
No matter where you look — television, billboards, movies, magazines, you name it — you see beautiful people with beautiful smiles. All of these seemingly ideal people can be intimidating to anyone, but it’s particularly discouraging for anyone facing a tooth extraction. How will a missing tooth change your smile? Will it alter the way others view you? Will you need to have additional extractions in order to accommodate a partial denture or dental bridge? Lucky for you, Dr. Angela Britt has a solution for all of your problems: dental implants.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are small, threaded titanium structures that are placed beneath the gums where they replicate the function of a tooth root. As the bone heals around them, they essentially become one with your jaw bone, offering unparalleled stability for the prosthetic tooth that will ultimately be attached. Because implants are individually placed, they can be used to replace as few or as many teeth as needed. The benefits don’t stop there. These wonders of dentistry also:
- Allow you to eat what you want. Other prosthetic options come with a long “DO NOT EAT” list, but because implants are so secure, you can enjoy your favorite foods.
- Make your daily dental health routine easy. Because each implant and attached prosthetic tooth is separate, they are easy to brush and floss. There is no need for effervescent tablets or overnight soaking.
- Look like your natural teeth — maybe even better! If your extracted tooth wasn’t quite shaped or positioned to your satisfaction, your dental implant can correct that. The materials used in your prosthetic can be designed to match the color of your other teeth; no one will know it’s not the tooth you were born with.
- Vastly improve the way you feel about yourself. It’s hard to live up to the beauty standards of the rest of the world, but let’s face it — looks matter. When you’re happy with your smile and confident about the way you look, you’re more likely to live life to its fullest. You’ll smile openly, laugh without covering your mouth, speak without fear of being misunderstood, and take advantage of all those social situations that you would have otherwise turned down.
At Dentistry by Angela Britt, we are pleased to offer this option to our patients. Whether you’ve been missing teeth for some time or will need to have a tooth extracted in the near future, we can help. Contact our office today to schedule a consultation for dental implants. We proudly serve those in Brunswick, Georgia, and the surrounding communities.
One of the best parts of being a dentist is merging art and science to change a person’s life. It may sound extreme to suggest that dentistry is life-changing, but when a patient is so self-conscious about their smile that they avoid talking, laughing, photographs, or social situations altogether, a cosmetic dental treatment can quite literally change how they interact from day to day. Maybe you can relate to this personally or know someone else who has had a similar experience and might benefit from a cosmetic treatment. Recently, one of my patients was selected by Paisley Magazine to participate in their “April Smile Takeover,” which included restorative and cosmetic dentistry as well as aesthetic enhancements. Together, we accomplished a transformation that can only be described as awe-inducing. Skeptical? Learn exactly how I helped my patient achieve the look she’d been wanting for years.
Meet Elizabeth …
Several years after the passing of her husband, Elizabeth decided that it was finally time to get out into the world and try new things. She began volunteering, learned how to speak Italian, and practiced meditation, for starters. One particular event loomed large, though: the 50th reunion of the Vardell Hall Girls School. Elizabeth understood the value of self-care, so we came up with a game plan that would give her a smile to match her vivacious personality.
The Procedures …
Due to jaw pain, failed root canals, and worn-down restorations, Elizabeth’s transformation was completed in several stages:
- We started by treating her TMD (temporomandibular joint disorder) with an orthotic device that would correct her bite and end her jaw pain.
- Implants were placed where root canals had failed.
- Excess bone matter (called tori) was removed, allowing for proper placement of her tongue and improved airway function.
- After gaining a clear picture of what Elizabeth wanted her new smile to look like, restorative crowns were placed on her teeth and implants.
- While the above treatments provided a natural “face-lift” by filling out what previously appeared to be sunken in, we finished with Botox to reduce the appearance of fine lines and dermal fillers to enhance her lips, providing the perfect frame for her new smile.
Looking good for her class reunion was Elizabeth’s original motivation, but she gained so much more from her smile transformation. Her improved airway function allows Elizabeth to enjoy a restful night’s sleep; when she wakes, she is energized and motivated to do the things she is passionate about. Her beaming smile perfectly complements her confidence and zest for life.
Every day, I am reminded of how powerful dentistry can be. Elizabeth’s story is just one of many that make me proud to be a dentist. If you’re ready to place yourself somewhere on your priority list, contact my office to schedule a consultation. Together, we can help you have the smile you’ve always dreamed of.
Dr. Angela Britt
When it comes to replacing missing teeth, dental implants are the way to go. If you’re replacing an entire arch with them, though, implants take time. Between the surgery and healing period, reclaiming your smile can take months. And while I firmly believe that the results that implants provide are worth the wait, I also understand that you may want to enjoy your new smile sooner rather than later. For those of you who are ready to flash your gorgeous grin now, I offer another type of dental implant: TeethXpress. Intrigued? Continue reading to learn more.
If you’re a denture wearer, you’re already aware of their limitations. They slip, can be uncomfortable, limit your ability to enjoy your favorite foods, and may even impede your speech. TeethXpress employs implant technology to stabilize your prosthetic teeth; five implants (often placed under local anesthesia) firmly hold your prosthetic device in place, allowing you to enjoy the following benefits and more:
- Increased comfort and less gum irritation
- Clear speech
- The ability to eat your favorite foods
- No more effervescent soaking tablets or denture adhesives
- An end to embarrassment caused by slipping dentures
While there is still healing time involved, some patients can have their implants and prosthetic placed within a single day!
If you’re tired of your dentures but are hesitant to commit to implants, TeethXpress is just the solution you’ve been waiting for. Contact my office today to set up a consultation.
Dr. Angela Britt
The loss of teeth can create many problems, including dissolving away of bone structure, loss of support for the face and damage to the remaining teeth. The face can have an appearance of sagging, wrinkles and aging. Damage to any remaining teeth can be caused by the full stresses and loads of chewing that they still must bear. Once enough teeth are missing, then nutritional changes begin to cause medical problems and your overall general well-being can be compromised.
The deterioration of the jaw bones affects the appearance of how the face “drapes” over the bone. This makes you look far older than your natural age and adds more non-age related wrinkles than Mother Nature intended for you. Facial sagging, premature aging and loss of function are the results of the shrinkage in the upper and lower jaw bones.
If you are experiencing any of these issues, then New You Dentures, also known as Cosmetic Dentures, may be the answer for you. Even better, the combination of dental implants and New You Dentures will not only return the facial support but the dental implants will act like a “dental root”, stopping the jaw bone deterioration and give better stability and function to the dentures.
For more information or to schedule a consultation to discuss dental implants and New You Dentures, call me today and 912-264-5550 and start your journey to a New You!
Let’s work to get your smile back!
Call today: 912-264-5550
For Fabulous, Function and Fit call Dr. Britt today to schedule your appointment!