Do you put off your dentist appointments because of anxiety? You’re not alone. 15% of Americans avoid the dentist due to fear of dental treatments, including routine cleanings. We don’t want you to stop taking care of your teeth or avoid important dental treatments that can improve your oral health. That’s why we offer IV sedation, or “twilight” sedation, to help you have a relaxing and comfortable dental experience.
A good candidate for IV sedation is someone who:
- Has strong fear or anxiety of going to the dentist
- Had a bad dental experience in the past
- Has strong aversion to the smells and sounds of a dentist office
- Has a sensitive gag reflex
With IV sedation, or intravenous sedation, you have a stress-free and pain-free dental appointment and will be fully awake throughout the procedure.
IV sedation is a safe and effective option that is:
- Fast acting
- Puts you in a deeper state of relaxation then oral sedation or laughing gas
- Leaves you conscious throughout the procedure, but you will have no memory of it
- Allows you to respond to the dentist during your procedure
- Greatly reduces gag reflex, which can be an issue for some people
Prior to your dental procedure, you will be administered anxiety reducing medicine through an intravenous drip. Although you will be highly monitored by our team, you won’t need medical assistance to maintain adequate breathing or your heart functioning as in done under general anesthesia. You will need an adult to drive you to and from your appointment. We’ll allow you to leave once we feel it safe for you to do so.
We are happy to discuss IV sedation as an option for your next dental appointment. We’ll go through your health history and answer any questions you may have. Please, don’t avoid another dental visit out of anxiety when you don’t have to. Your comfort is important to us, and we are here to help you.