You wake up to excruciating jaw pain — again. You think about what your day has in store and cringe. How will you interact with co-workers, clients, and even the Starbucks barista when it physically hurts you to smile? If this scenario is familiar, you may have a problem with your TMD.
The temporomandibular joint connects your lower jaw to your upper. When this joint becomes inflamed or irritated, it results in TMD, or temporomandibular joint disorder. For some, TMD pain can be debilitating, preventing them from enjoying social situations. The following symptoms are the most common:
- Facial swelling
- Jaw clicking or popping sounds
- Ear, neck, or shoulder pain
- Ringing of the ears or dizziness
- Jaw pain, particularly when talking, chewing, or yawning
The problem with TMD is that many of the symptoms can be explained by other health conditions. You don’t inherently suspect a misaligned jaw when you have chronic shoulder pain.
TMD can be caused by a number of things, from arthritis of the temporomandibular joint to trauma such as whiplash. Whatever the cause, Dr. Angela Britt can use Physiologic Dentistry identify the source of your pain. The technology we utilize, such as Myotronics (bite evaluation system), allows Dr. Britt to view how your facial muscles, jaw joints, and soft tissues work together. This information is then used to develop a personalized treatment plan that will finally put an end to your pain. Types of treatment include:
- Physical therapy and stretching exercises to strengthen jaw muscles
- Occlusal appliances such as splints to place your jaw in the proper position or mouth guards to prevent jaw clenching and grinding
There is no need to suffer from TMD symptoms when help is just a phone call away. If you live in Brunswick, Georgia, or the surrounding communities, contact Dentistry by Angela Britt to schedule a consultation. Your smile and your comfort matter to us.
At Dentistry by Angela Britt, one of the things we love about dentistry is that it’s NEVER boring. Between the personalities of our patients, the variety of conditions we treat, and the ever-changing world of dental technology, we have to stay on our toes. One particular piece of technology that we’re excited about is our WaterlaseⓇ Surgical Laser. Why should YOU care about the Waterlase? Because it’s yet another way that we are able to enhance your experience when you visit.
What Is Waterlase?
Waterlase combines the powers of water and lasers to safely and comfortably perform dental procedures. Like most other lasers, Waterlase allows us to treat you with greater comfort and improved healing time. The other benefits of Waterlase include:
- It works not only on hard tissue like teeth, but soft tissue like your gums. This means we can do tissue lifts, remove hyperpigmentation (darkening) of the oral tissues, and perform periodontal procedures.
- It’s practically painless! As the laser cuts through the tooth’s surface, a constant stream of water prevents the heating that can cause pain.
- It lacks the elements that induce anxiety. Hate the sound of a drill? Can’t stand needles? These are often cited as sources of dental anxiety; with Waterlase, they are sometimes unnecessary.
- It saves you time. Many procedures that require the use of Waterlase can be completed the day of diagnosis. This means YOU won’t have to take the time to return to our office or see a specialist for your procedure.
- It’s precise! Laser technology allows us to remove less of the tooth’s surface and focus only on the exact area requiring treatment. This is another reason that Waterlase is less painful than other treatment methods.
- It’s safe. Our tools and equipment are always safe and sterile, but because the Waterlase never actually touches your tooth, there’s zero risk of cross contamination.
Using state-of-the-art technology is just one of the ways we are able to ensure that your visit is as expedient and comfortable as possible. If you’d like to experience our patient-centered care and live in or near Brunswick, Georgia, we’d love to be part of your healthcare team. Contact our office today to schedule a consultation.
The beginning of a new year is the perfect time to take stock in our lives. How many times have we put our needs on the back burner in order to take care of a friend or loved one? How often have we run ourselves ragged trying to do too much? I propose that this year, you make your happiness and health — including dental health — a priority. If you have recently experienced an extraction or having been battling with your dentures, then treat yourself to dental implants. Dental implants as a treat? Let me explain.
How You Can Benefit from Dental Implants
While there are a number of solutions for tooth loss, I almost always recommend dental implants. Why? They offer benefits that no other tooth replacement option can, such as:
- Permanence — Whether you’re having a single implant placed or an entire mouth full, each implant is permanent. As your implants heal, they fuse with the natural bone in your jaw. This not only makes them permanent, but the most stable tooth replacement option available.
- Freedom to eat — Because of the stability implants offer, you are free to eat what you wish. Denture wearers struggle with eating tough foods or getting seeds and other food particles stuck between their gums and dentures. With implants, you can enjoy a crisp apple, filet mignon, and fresh berries to your heart’s content.
- Easy care — Implants are individually placed, which means you can clean between and around them just as you would natural teeth. Simply brush and floss as I recommend and follow through with your scheduled dental exams. No overnight soaking required.
- Improved health — Unlike some other dental prosthetics, implants prevent further damage from occurring to your remaining teeth, gums, jaws, and facial structure. When a missing tooth is not replaced, the remaining teeth will shift. This shift can adversely affect your bite, compromise your jaw alignment, and even distort the shape of your face. Dental implants prevent all of this from occurring
- Improved self-esteem — Dental implants look and function like real teeth. If you weren’t happy with the smile nature provided, I can finally give you the one you’ve always dreamed of. Enjoy the newfound confidence that comes with having a beautiful smile. Take care of yourself; get the grin you deserve and then share it with the world.
The next time you come in, let’s have a conversation about how dental implants can improve your life. Whether you commit to treatment or not, make sure that you place yourself somewhere at the top of your priority list this year.
At Dentistry by Angela Britt, we take great pride in incorporating technology in our practice. Dental technology advances daily, and if those advancements can benefit our patients in any way, we want to learn more. One of our favorite technological tools is our dental wand. This award-winning wonder allows us to anesthetize patients more comfortably and efficiently than ever before. As dental professionals, it’s easy to be enthusiastic about state-of-the-art equipment, but we think you’ll be excited to learn more, too.
Among the many benefits of the Wand are:
- Improved precision. With traditional anesthetic injections, the area surrounding the affected tooth becomes numb. The Wand allows us to anesthetize a single tooth! How does this enhance your dental experience? You won’t leave our office with a numb face.
- Improved comfort. Occasionally, patients are more anxious about receiving an anesthetic injection than they are about the procedure itself. The Wand delivers anesthesia with less discomfort than a traditional syringe injection. It also offers more sustained numbness, which means that you will remain comfortable throughout your entire treatment. Greater comfort for you also means less anxiety. That’s a win-win in our books.
- Improved efficiency. If you’ve ever needed treatment on multiple teeth, you may have been required to visit your dentist to treat each tooth. Because The Wand allows us to numb a single tooth at a time, it also allows us to perform multiple treatments in one visit. This saves YOU time, and who couldn’t use more of that?
Everything we do is done with patient comfort in mind. The Wand has been invaluable in easing patient anxiety, increasing their comfort, and instilling their confidence in our practice. If you live in Brunswick, Georgia, or the surrounding areas and would like to experience the type of treatment that we offer, contact us today to schedule a consultation.
Did you know:
- One person every hour of every day dies of Oral Cancer in America
- Oral cancer has become a leader in cancer among men
- Oral cancer has increased in young adults
- Tobacco users are at higher risk
- Exposure to the HPV virus increases your risk
Most people are not aware of potential risks; however, when detected early, the survival rate for oral cancer is very high.
The VELscope exam takes about two minutes, involves no pain or inconvenience, and is completely safe. Abnormal fluorescence patterns aid in detecting unhealthy tissue that sometimes cannot be seen with the naked eye, such as viral, fungal and bacterial infections, inflammation from a variety of causes, cancerous lesions and salivary gland tumors. Annual comprehensive oral cancer screening for all of my patients is very important to me. Early discovery has many positive impacts when you consider cancer; potentially longer life spans and reduction of treatment.
VELscope is a word that you will hear in our treatment suite.
Let me See or Not See you today!
Dr. Angela Britt
What can cause TMJ (TMD)?
- grinding or clenching your teeth, which puts a lot of pressure on the joint
- movement of the soft cushion or disc between the ball and socket of the joint
- stress, which can cause you to tighten facial and jaw muscles or clench teeth
- injury to your jaw, joint, or muscles of your head and neck
- a bad bite or poorly positioned teeth
It has been recognized that approximately 90% of the pain in the body comes from muscles. Since the muscles of the head and neck are all related to or affected by the bite or jaw relationship, it is critical to consider muscle comfort in the assessment, diagnosis and treatment of patients who suffer with bite issues. Many individuals do not realize that muscles play an important role in dentistry.
The traditional dental education still focuses on the relationship between the upper and lower teeth combined with the jaw joint position but completely misses evaluation of the muscles. Why hasn’t anyone caught it before? Dentistry is about more than just your teeth!
When the muscles of the head and neck and the teeth are not in harmony, pain can develop. Symptoms such as headaches, vertigo, ringing in the ears, jaw pain, neck pain, sensitive teeth, just to list a few, can be associated with TMJ disorder. There are a few options available. The most effective is a bite computer, it is used to determine the optimal bite position and an orthotic fabricated to reposition the jaw joints, thus decompressing the joints and alleviating the pain. This method determines the cause of the pain while providing a solution for symptoms.
Dr. Britt wants to help you build the perfect pain free bite!!! Hurry and call 912-264-5550 to schedule an appointment for you to achieve the optimal bite!
Keep On Smiling,
Dr. Angela Britt
For Fabulous, Function and Fit call Dr. Britt today to schedule your appointment!
Your smile is the way you greet the world. And while you have many options for whitening your teeth, your dental professionals have access to the most powerful, professional-strength whitening and can ensure your treatment is safe and your results are outstanding.
Zoom! got its name from its speed. It’s considered one of the fastest teeth whitening systems, and can fit easily into the most hectic of schedules.
This procedure is simple. The Zoom! whitening gel is applied, the Zoom! light is turned on and the whitening process begins. The light and gel work together to gently penetrate your teeth, breaking up the stains and discoloration.
- The gel is applied for 3 fifteen minute sessions using the Zoom light
- During this time you can relax, listen to music or watch TV
- Upper and lower whitening trays are completed in the office for at home touch up whitening
- Initial whitening gel is provided for you to use
- Finally, you go home with your brighter, whiter smile
Take your first step to get you on your way to your Zoom! and contact us today!
Here’s to a bright smile,
Dr. Angela Britt
The syringe is the #1 cause of stress in the dental office and the biggest source of anxiety and fear for the patient. It can be painful to be uncomfortable or stressed.
Most people who have had a bad experience with injections think that needles sting because the skin is pierced, but this is usually not so! Most often, the sting was caused because the anesthetic was forced in too quickly. Obviously, it is possible for the dentist to control the speed with a standard syringe, but the idea of the Wand is to take out the “hand force”. This can be very reassuring for people with previous bad experiences.
What is it?
The Wand Single Tooth Anaesthesia (STA™) System is the first computer-controlled local dental numbing machine. One injection will ensure easy, fast acting numbness. This means that the injection is guaranteed to be slow and steady and therefore comfortable.
What does the Wand look like?
Is painless numbing up possible?
With The Wand it is!
It simply doesn’t look like a syringe! Welcome to new technology…
People with needle phobia describe it as the “Magic Wand”!
What are the advantages?
- Higher Patient Comfort
- Reduced Patient Anxiety
- Faster numbing onset and sensation recovery
- Looks non-threatening and almost like a pencil
I welcome dental chickens, there is nothing to be ashamed of.
Call the exceptional dentist Dr. Angela Britt now and she will make your dental experience dream come true.
For Fabulous, Function and Fit call Dr. Britt today to schedule your appointment!