We are so excited that spring is here! It’s the time of year when we feel energized and ready to get out in the world after slower winter months. It’s also a great time to freshen up our dental hygiene habits. We can get into a rut when it comes to taking care of our teeth and gums — it’s easy to avoid flossing or put off a routine cleaning. As with anything in our lives, though, we need some motivation to get us back on the right track. Could you use a dental hygiene shake-up?
Here are some simple ways you can rethink your dental hygiene routine:
- Brush your teeth for at least 2 minutes — That is the amount of time it takes to thoroughly clean your teeth.
- Use the right toothbrush — It should be soft-bristled and fit in your mouth comfortably. Consider trying an electric or battery-operated toothbrush, they are more effective at reducing plaque.
- Regularly replace your toothbrush — If the bristles on your toothbrush are frayed, it’s time for a new one. The American Dental Association recommends you replace your brush every 3–4 months.
- Floss at least once a day — You’ve heard the saying: Floss the teeth you want to keep. Well, it’s true! It’s important to floss because it can reach between teeth, unlike your toothbrush. Flossing also helps reach under the gum line to help keep your gums in good shape.
- Avoid smoking — This can be a hard one, but smoking discolors teeth and can increase your risk of gum disease.
- Reduce sugar intake — Sugary food and drinks increase your chance of cavities and can also affect your overall health.
Our goal is to help you have the healthiest smile possible. Please let us know how we can help!