Tooth damage comes in a variety of conditions, including chipped, cracked or broken teeth, tooth decay, and even total tooth loss. Dental crowns are one treatment that can help restore the tooth or replace it. A crown is a tooth-shaped structure, like a cap, that is placed over a tooth. The “cap” covers the tooth to improve its appearance, restore its shape and function or sit on top of an implant as a replacement tooth.
Dental crowns can be used to:
- Protect a weak tooth from breaking
- Hold together a cracked tooth
- Restore a tooth that has been worn down
- Support and cover a tooth with a large filling
- Hold a dental bridge in place
Restoring the Look and Function of Teeth
When our teeth are healthy, we can take them for granted. They help us chew food, breathe and speak properly and keep us in general good health. Dental crowns can help restore the appearance and function of your teeth when they have sustained damage. Their benefits also include:
- Improved appearance: A dental crown looks just like a natural tooth. No one will notice that it is a prosthetic. Crowns can also be used to alter the size, shape or color of your teeth to improve the look of your smile.
- Proper chewing: Missing teeth can alter the way you chew food, which also affects your digestion. Dental crowns restore the function of your teeth to stop the negative domino effect that occurs when missing teeth are left untreated.
- Protection: For a broken or chipped tooth, the cap design of a dental crown protects it from further damage without having to remove the tooth completely.
Dental crowns are one of the most common dental treatments, and for good reason. They play a big role in keeping your teeth healthy. If you have questions about dental crowns in Brunswick, please call our office to schedule a consultation today.